When you think of Finland’s winter months, thoughts turn towards reindeer, winter wonderlands, and Santa Claus. When planning to visit this amazing country during these colder months, one asks, what should I pack to stay warm? Well, we have a list of the basic items every visitor should bring to winter in Finland.
1. Forget the synthetic blends and opt for natural fibres. While synthetics take up less room in your travel bags, they do not keep you as warm. Choose clothes made of natural fibres like wool, cotton, silk, and polyester.
2. Prioritise warm outerwear, waterproof jackets and trousers. If you plan to do any outdoor activities, you need thick waterproof pants that will keep you warm. Couple this with a thick parka and a light-weight down jacket. Include a beanie, scarf, gloves and silk give liners, wool socks, and hand warmers. Bonus tip: Freezing temperatures will drain your battery. So, keep an extra pair of wool gloves or socks to hold your cell phone in your pocket.
3. Choose footwear to protect your feet. A Finnish saying is “If your feet are warm, your whole body is warm.” So choose warm winter boots and lighter winter shoes, but never sneakers or other trendy styles. Choose winter boots that are waterproof and have a layer of Thinsulate, an insulation that keeps your feet warm to -20 degrees Fahrenheit. It is also important to look for slip resistant soles to help navigate the slush and ice.
4. Don’t forget to layer your clothes. Bring fitted thermal underwear or soft merino wool to wear under your normal pants and shirts. Include wool socks to wear over your normal socks. Practice wearing two pairs of socks and your boots before visiting Finland. Bonus Tip: Buy your boots a half size to a full size larger than you wear to accommodate the extra wool socks. Your toes will thank you for it!
5. Protect your skin with these winter essentials. The dry air can destroy the most nourished skin; so pack lip balm, face moisturiser with SPF, and a thick hand cream. Along with moisturisers, remember to drink plenty of water to nourish your skin.
If you pack these essentials, you will have a comfortable trip to Finland.