The capital and largest city of Bulgaria is Sophia. This city has a population of 1.26 million and is the home of many cultural institutions and universities. The last few years has seen tourism increase in the country and business start-ups increase in the city.
Tourism in Bulgaria
Overnight stays in Bulgaria increased 18% for year-on-year numbers in the first half of 2016, with over 8 million overnight stays. Revenues also increased 15% (BGN 3.4B) in the first seven months compared with 2015. Bulgarian Tourism Minister Nikolina Angelkova says this is the best results within the EU.
Why are the numbers increasing in the last year? Some say Sophia is Europe’s most affordable capital to visit and has been since 2013. Four-star and five-star hotels rent for about $100 USD, dinner for two with a bottle of wine runs $40 USD, and daily expenses are estimated at under $160 USD. For an even better value while in Sophia, you can rent a luxury furnished apartment with more space and amenities.
There are two free city tours each day. For an in-depth tour of the city, Lyuba Tours offers an architectural and historical site tour for $13 USD per person.
IT Technology and Start-Up Businesses
Sophia ranked third for EU start-up hub hot-spots in 2013. Over 150 new ventures received support to begin operations in Sophia. Some of the most notable companies have received international recognition.
• Swipes: Evernote Platform Awarded Best Start-Up for 2014 and nominated for a Webbie Award.
• Dronamics: 2015 Winner of Pioneers Festival Challenge in Vienna
• Halfbike: 2015 Winner of Red Dot Design Award and raised almost $1 million on Kickstarter.
Why Do Companies Choose Sophia?
1. High quality IT talent.
2. Low living costs and low overhead for business.
3. High quality of life: “The Bulgarian capital surprises with its vibrant lifestyle, numerous cultural projects, world-class restaurants, bars and cafes. What contributes to the high quality of life are also the amazing outdoor adventure opportunities located in direct proximity of the city.”
You Should Visit Sophia Too
Sophia offers low cost of living for tourists and long-term visitors. While cost of living is low, the quality of life is high and worth the time to experience. Walk along the gardens and parks, visit the cultural centers, and experience the night-life. You will create memories to treasure forever.
Book your luxury furnished apartment and experience Sophia for yourself!